It’s the only style of music we listen to for one month out of the year. Actually, for some of us it’s only a week or two of the year. However, we all still have our favorites and would prefer to listen to the same two or three songs until a new song pricks up our ears one year.
I’m one who tends to listen to whatever holiday music pops up on the radio and forget most of the songs exist until I hear them again the following year. This year I have been listening to Pandora and have some new favorites to share. Here is a list of old and new:
- “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” by Barenaked Ladies with Sarah McLachlan
- “Little Saint Nick” by the Beach Boys
- “Step into Christmas” by Elton John
- “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey
- A Midwinter Night’s Dream by Loreena McKennitt (entire album)
- Putumayo presents: New Orleans Christmas (entire album)
- Gloria by the Sacramento Master Singers (entire album)
I have favorite traditional carols as well, but generally prefer to listen to them as sung by my students or friends in either choir or solo format. Most carols sound best to me when sung traditionally and without all of the embellishments. It’s one of the oldest holidays we have, why not let our music reflect that?
Enjoy all of your holiday music choices (don’t forget to get some Adam Sandler in the mix)!